Not Dying Again
The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 175
- A spell for not dying again. Words spoken by the Osiris Ani, true of voice:
- O Thoth, what has become of the children of Nut? They are made criminals; they have formented rebellion;
- They have done evil; they have created hostilities;
- The have done murder; they have created pushishment.
- Truely they have set the great against the small in all that they have done.
- Grant, O might of Thoth, that which Atum will decree:
- You will not see evil; you will not be in pain.
- Their years are disarrayed, and their months are brought near because they have done secret harm in all that they have done.
- I am your writing palette; I have brought up your ink cup for you.
- Their secret harm does not belong to me; no harm is done in me.
- Words spoken by the Osiris Ani Ani [sic]:
- O Atum, what is this place to which I have gone? For it has no water; it has no air. It is doubly deep, and doubly dark, and living it in peace of heart is doubly sought after, and indeed, love is not made in it.
- [Atum responds,] I have given glory in exchange for water and air and love-making, and peace of heart in exchange for bread and beer.
- Atum has decreed that your face be seen.
- Indeed, I am not in pain from your sufferings.
- Every god sends his thrones at the head of millions of years. Your throne belongs to your son Horus.
- Atum decrees that he send the princes, that he truly rule your throne, that he be the heir of the throne in the Lake of Fire.
- [He] commands that I truly see his second, and that my face see the face of the lord Atum.
- What is the period of life?
- [He] decrees that you are for millions of millions of years, a period of millions of years.
- I have let him send the princes.
- Truly I will [cast away?] all the harm I have done, when the earth comes from the Celestial Ocean, from the primeval rain as of old.
- I am time and Osiris; I have made my form as other things and serpents.
- They do not know people; they do not see the gods.
- How beautiful it is—I have made Osiris more exalted than all the gods, and I have given him the land.
- Indeed, his son Horus is the heir on his throne in the Lake of Fire; I have made him have his seat in the boat of millions of years.
- Horus is established on his throne [by] his supporters, and his monuments are founded.
- Indeed, the soul of Set has sent to be exalted more than all the gods; I have allowed his soul to be fettered in the boat, as he desires, fearing the flesh of the god.
- O my father Osiris, you have done form me what your father Ra did for you.
- I lay down on the earth. My throne is founded; my heir is healthy; my tomb flourishes.
- My supporters are on the earth; my enemies are crushed when Serqet shackles them.
- I am your son; my father is Ra. You make life, strength, and health for me.
- Horus is established on his throne. Let this lifetime of mine advance to dignity.
Continue to In the Hall of Truth
Return to The Papyrus of Ani, a New Translation