The Tomb and its Equipment
(& In the Field of Offerings)
The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 157
- The spell of the Djed of gold. Words spoken by the Osiris Ani, true of voice:
- You rise for yourself, o Still of Heart! You shine for yourself, o Still of Heart! You place yourself on your side.
- I have come, and brought you a Djed of gold, that you may rejoice with it.
The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 156
- The spell of the Isis-amulet of red jasper. Words spoken by the Osiris Ani, true of voice:
- Blood of Isis, words of power of Isis, glory of Isis,
- It is a protection for this great one, a protection against wickedness.
The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 29c
- The spell of the heart of red stone. Words spoken by the Osiris Ani, true of voice:
- I am the phoenix, the soul of Ra, who leads the gods to the netherworld.
- May the souls come forth upon the earth to do as their kas desire, and may the soul of the Osiris Ani come forth as his ka desires.
The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 166
- The spell of the headrest placed under the head of the Osiris Ani, true of voice:
- Awake from your suffering, Osiris in prostration! Awaken your head to the horizon!
- I lift you up, o true of voice. Ptah has cast down your enemies; your enemies have fallen and have no more being, o Osiris.
The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 151
- [Text accompanying the soul facing left:] Adoration of Ra when he rises in the eastern horizon of the sky, by the Osiris Ani, true of voice.
- Words spoken by Hapi: I am Hapi, your son, o Osiris Ani, true of voice. I have come to be as your protection, and to bind your head and limbs together for you. You have struck down your enemies under you. I have given you your head for ever and ever, o Osiris Ani, true of voice in peace.
- [Text accompanying the Djed pillar:] I come seeking, to drive back the one whose face is hidden, and to illuminate his sanctuary. I am standing behind the Djed on the day of driving back rage. I am your protection, Osiris.
- Words spoken by Imset: I am Imset, your son, o Osiris Ani, true of voice. I come to be as your protection. I have made your house to flourish, established as Ptah commands me, like Ra himself commanded.
- [Text accompanying the soul facing right:] Adoration of Ra when he sets in the western horizon of the sky, by the Osiris Ani, true of voice in peace in the underworld. I am a perfect soul.
- [Text accompanying the left flame:] I am as your protection, [says] this torch. I drive him away from the valley; I drive him away from the sand [at] the feet. I [embrace?] the Osiris Ani, true of voice in peace and in truth.
- Words spoken by Isis: I come to be as your protection. I fan air into your nose, the north wind which comes forth from Atum into your nostrils. I gather together your throat for you, and let you exist as a god. As for your enemies, they are fallen under your feet. I make your voice true with Nut, and your limbs strong among the gods.
- Words spoken by Nephthys [to] the Osiris Ani: I have gone around behind my brother Osiris. I come to be as your protection behind you. The Two Lands bow down at your call, and you are true of voice among them. I uphold and make true [your] voice because of your deeds. Ptah has cast down your enemies.
- [Text accompanying the right flame:] Words spoken by the Osiris Ani, true of voice: I have come to cleave in two. Do not cleave me in two; I will not let myself be cloven in two. I come to thrust out, but I am not thrust out. I am as your protection.
- [For the bottom left panel, see Chapter 6.]
- Words spoken by Qebesenuf: I am your son, o Osiris Ani, true of voice. I come to be as your protection. I gather up your bones; I assemble your limbs. Osiris, the great one, is in is place of truth, in which is his throne.
- Words spoken by Duamutef: I am your son, Horus, your beloved. I come to avenge [your] father Osiris from he who does evil deeds. I place him under your feet forever and ever, doubly permanently, o Osiris Ani, with doubly true voice.
- Words spoken by the Osiris Ani, with true voice: I am a perfected soul in the egg of the Abdu fish. I am the great cat on the throne of truth, where Shu rises.
The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 6
- Illuminate the Osiris Ani, true of voice, o shabti. If it is reckoned or accounted to do any work which is done in the underworld, to destroy obstacles there from under someone, or to plow the fields, or to fill the irrigation canals, or to transport sand of ….
- [The text breaks off abruptly here; in other papyri it continues “or to transport sand of the east to the west, I will do it, truely, when [I] am called there.”]
In the Field of Offerings
The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 110
- The beginning of the spells of the Field of Offerings, and the spells of coming forth by day and entering into and coming forth from the underworld, arriving in the Field of Reeds, and being at peace in the great town of the lady of winds.
- I have mastery there; I am glorious there;
- I plow there; I reap there;
- I eat there; I drink there,
- doing everything which is done on earth.
- Words spoken by the Osiris Ani Ani [sic], true of voice:
- You are the seizer, Horus. It is Set whose eyes look upon the building of the Field of Offerings.
- Air is spread over the soul on its day in the egg. He delivers the inside of the body of Horus.
- I search him out in the chamber of Shu; his chamber is the stars.
- Behold, I am at peace in his times, and he leads the vessels [?] of the company of the eldest gods.
- He pacifies the fighters for the keepers of life; he creates goodness, bringing an offering.
- He pacifies the fighters for their keepers, and cuts off the mourners from their adversaries.
- He drives out disasters from the children, smiting against rape and injury of souls.
- I have mastery there. I know it; I sail over its lakes to arrive at its towns.
- I am strong; my mouth is equipped.
- As for the glorified spirits, they shall not gain mastery over me, for I am equipped in the Field of Offerings.
- That which you desire is that which you will do.
The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 148
- Words spoken by the Osiris Ani, true of voice:
- Homage to you, Ra, who is the lord, the lord of truth, the only one, the lord of eternity and maker of infinity,
- I have come before you, lord Ra; I have made the seven cows and their bull to flourish.
- You who have gifts of bread and beer for the glorified spirits, may you give also to my soul with you.
- He comes into being under your hindquarters, and is like one among you for ever and ever, and he is glorified in the beautiful West by the Osiris Ani, true of voice.
O Beautiful Power, beautiful rudder of the northern sky
O Encircler of the Sky, Leader of the Two Lands, beautiful rudder of the western sky
O Glorious One at the Head of the Temple of the Holy Icons, beautiful rudder of the eastern sky
O One at the Head of the Temple of Sand, beautiful rudder of the southern sky
O gods above the earth, leaders in the netherworld
O mother-goddesses above the earth in the underworld, in the house of Osiris, in the house of Osiris
O gods who lead the holy land above the earth, leaders of the netherworld
O followers of Ra in the following of Osiris
The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 185
- Praise of Osiris at the head of the West, Wen-nefer at the heart of Abydos, by the Osiris Ani, true of voice:
- He says, O my lord, passing through eternity, whose being is infinite,
- Lord of lords, king of kings, prince, god of gods,
- They who are with you [?] [come] before before you as gods and people.
- I have made their places at the head of the underworld.
- They beseech the forms of your ka, they who come for millions and millions of years, arriving and establishing the balance for you on [your] body, their faces turned toward you.
- No delay arises for them in Egypt. Behold, they come to you, the mortal ones, the great like the little.
- Let him enter and leave the underworld without repulse at the doors of the netherworld, to the ka of the Osiris Ani.
The Papyrus of Ani, Chapter 186
- Hathor, lady of the West,
- who is in the great land, lady of the holy land,
- Eye of Ra in his brow, beautiful of face in the boat of millions of years,
- Seat of peace, worker of truth within the boat of the praised ones,
- She who will make the great sacred boat to sail forth in truth